Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

[FINAL RELEASE] Eviternity

Hey!

Actually this WAD is made in such simple way that there should be no problem running it under ZDaemon (everything seems to be made using boom), which is also a problem because... I saw an effect like Rain & Snow and these will fuck up the entire internet bandwitdh...

When you create such effect you have to make sure it runs on client's side only, zdaemon uses special ACS for these. I already have a ZD working patched version of the WAD... but gotta test it further...

When you wanna make sure it runs in inteded port you gotta test it in the inteded port... this is always a huge suprise for many map makers, that they make a map that works only in specific conditions or in a singleplayer because they didn't bothered to test it at all...

image.png.a7ec8f1a7de43588f09beb5d90fde241.png

6 minutes ago, Medis said:

When you wanna make sure it runs in inteded port you gotta test it in the inteded port...

zdaemon isn't the intended port, btw damo already has a working fix for RC1

1 minute ago, Eris Falling said:

zdaemon isn't the intended port, btw damo already has a working fix for RC1

There is no need for a fix... only a little touch for the WAD itself... like convert few PNG's, make map nodes... and there will be a little need for proper dehacked compatibility along with network compatibility.... I dont like half-ass made fixes 

22 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

Pretty sure everything you just said is what damo's patch already does.

Yup it does, just waiting for RC2 now :-)

39 minutes ago, Medis said:

When you wanna make sure it runs in inteded port you gotta test it in the inteded port... this is always a huge suprise for many map makers, that they make a map that works only in specific conditions or in a singleplayer because they didn't bothered to test it at all...

Extensive testing (still on going I do believe) has gone into making sure the intended ports work, so I'm not really sure what your going on about to be honest. 

This in particular is what I had done:

- All maps except MAP32 do not need extended nodes, and therefore have been rebuilt with regular nodes (using ZenNode). MAP32 will not work in ZDaemon until extended node support is added, so you should remove them from your map list.

- 2 PNGs were converted to Doom GFX.

- DEHSUPP lump was added to facilitate adding of Eviternity's new monsters. (ZDaemon doesn't support DECORATE) https://rhinoduck.net/downloads/index.php?dir=/tns/dehsupp/worst/

- A lot of the DEHACKED was re-wrote to take into consideration that ZDaemon is not fully MBF compatible, and to take advantage of DEHSUPP for adding of the new stuff that Eviternity brings.

- ZDaemon expects skys to have an aspect ratio of 1:1, 2:1, 4:1. there the skys that were used were resized. e.g. 1024x200 -> 1024x256

- ZDaemon doesn't support ZScript, so weather effects are not available on the maps.

- A MAPINFO was generated from the ZMAPINFO using https://rhinoduck.net/git/horrible-mapinfo-utils/tree/zmi2mi

- "exitpic" was added to the MAP blocks in MAPINFO with the same value of the "titlepatch". This achieves the appropiate map pic on completion of each map.

- "forcenoskystretch" was added to MAPINFO to make the sky's look less tiled

- The titlepatch pics were moved from offset 0x2 to 0x0. They didn't show up in ZDaemon otherwise.

- MAP15 had a lot of 'metadata' removed to bring it under extended node limit. The map author is doing the same for RC2. This doesn't effect gameplay.

Edited by damo2k

This vid busts it all... 

- You used the oldest dehsupp that is out there (I am suprised it works still), you may want to use 

https://forums.zdaemon.org/viewtopic.php?p=278779&sid=00337dd13c63a99d354a2a54cc2be85d (hopefully the links are alive)

- ZDaemon is not MBF compatible but it does not have to be as it has more DeHackEd features than the MBF itself, including some decorate codepointers

- You can make pretty much any skybox in ZD (but sometimes, skybox is just the way to go)

- Wheather effects are tottaly possible as seen in the video and they *do* work in multiplayer, since ZD is focused on multiplayer they have to be designed so they work on client side only and not on the actual server. Also you have to re-code those using ACS + DeHackEd asn zscript will be simply ignored.

I haven't read the entire thread to see if it has already been mentioned, but it seems one can sequence break Map32 by climbing on sectors 4611 and 4612, climbing up the lava fall.

5 minutes ago, Vermil said:

I haven't read the entire thread to see if it has already been mentioned, but it seems one can sequence break Map32 by climbing on sectors 4611 and 4612, climbing up the lava fall. 

This is intentional! The map has many, many alternative routes into and out from the different areas. But thanks for reporting =)

7 hours ago, Medis said:

There is no need for a fix... only a little touch for the WAD itself... like convert few PNG's, make map nodes... and there will be a little need for proper dehacked compatibility along with network compatibility.... I dont like half-ass made fixes 

The creators have worked their butts off getting the project to the state it is in now. I doubt there will be any adjustments to make it work with zdaemon, but theres no reason you cant do the fixes yourself.

It probably does need a patch and I assume damo2k's patch that was more-or-less complete will handle that. If he presents it in a working state I'll add it to the OP as a separate download.

2 minutes ago, Phade102 said:

I doubt there will be any adjustments to make it work with zdaemon, but theres no reason you cant do the fixes yourself.

As I already stated, damo2k already made a functioning version for zdaemon - it only now needs updating for the new changes.

A notice about the MAP30 music and PrBoom+ - something I noticed during testing is that it sounds like fucking garbage, this turned out to be a sample rate problem, PrBoom+ defaults to 22050Hz, this can be changed by modifying the samplerate field in PrBoom's cfg file. This music track is at 48kHz but you can get away with 44100.

About time and congratulations everyone!

I heavily appreciate you putting me on the RC2 testing team, it has been an absolute pleasure.

I also usually normally never replay wads repeatedly or in such a short span from when I last played it, which only indicates how much replayability Eviternity has.

For everyone who's waited for this release, I hope you find that it was worth it. :)

Is there a way to go back to the classic hud with just the standard red numbers?

Using the GZDoom port...

6 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

FYI for the Eternity fans who want to use that engine, you'll need to use a dev build at the time of writing for the additional actors that use the codepointers from MBF to work.

You can obtain the dev builds here. http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/eternity/ 

Cheers for the info  :)

I should say that pistol is shooting very fast, but i won't because i'm afraid it will be fixed. :D If it was intended - it's GOLDEN pistol fix! Playing on latest Eternity dev build. Same was on stable.